I just thought I would give you an update on what the Biden administration has done so far for Union Labor. I attached this Link to a video of Biden addressing the right to bargain.
In my lifetime I have not seen a President promote unionization so forceful as this one. Likely not since FDR have we seen a pro-worker president.
Some of the other things President Biden has done since taking office:
- Appointed Marty Walsh a lifelong union Laborer to become Labor Secretary. Not since the ’70s have we seen a Building Trades Union Official become the Labor Secretary.
- President Biden fired all the union-busting attorneys from the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board).
- President Biden has pushed all the Federal agencies back to the bargaining table after he fired all the members of the Bargaining Panel Trump used to override the Federal Workers’ contracts.
- He put an Executive order in place that was stronger and closed many loopholes companies used to get around the previous Buy American provisions.
- He appointed Peter Sung Ohr a pro-labor attorney as Lead Attorney to the Labor Board.
So far President Biden is shaping up to be the most Pro-Union President we have seen in a long time. Let’s hope he keeps pushing a pro-worker agenda that will only benefit workers and worker rights to collectively bargain.
January 2021 Connector is out!! Check it out here.
I didn’t get this in the Newsletter, but today I finally persuaded the Tri-State Welfare board to stop requiring the proof of qualified purchase with your HRA (Benefit Card) for purchases over $500 going forward. In short, you will not be receiving any 1099’s for the use of your HRA Card for a purchase over $500 at tax time going forward in including any from 2020. So pay your medical bills with your HRA card as you need to. If you need clarification do not hesitate to call me.
Iron Workers Local 498 will be taking applications for the apprentice program.
This will be your first test at following directions and ensuring you are prepared when you come to apply.
Attached below is the notice which will give you where to apply, when to apply, what you need to have when you apply, qualifications for the position, and information on the aptitude test performed by an independent organization.
The election is fast approaching, see the attached Local 498 Political Letter on the importance of voting and supporting Labor Friendly Candidates that insure our brothers and sisters of this great Local a solid foundation with great benefits. There is an attached Local 498 Endorsed Candidate List as well.
Vote for Labor and vote your pocketbook.
Check it out HERE.
Hopefully everyone is hanging in there during these unprecedented times. I did want to give you and update I just received from the International regarding COVID 19. They shared with me that only 6 members (3 retirees and 3 active members) have passed away from the virus.
Strong Everyone we will get through this.
I hope everyone is hanging in there and staying safe. The newsletter is out and available and there are some important things in there to check out regarding the pandemic and our contract that is set to expire May 31, 2020.
Also, if you are interested in the text service I have started sign up here.
It’s easy and you won’t be bombarded with texts.