I just thought I would give you an update on what the Biden administration has done so far for Union Labor. I attached this Link to a video of Biden addressing the right to bargain.
In my lifetime I have not seen a President promote unionization so forceful as this one. Likely not since FDR have we seen a pro-worker president.
Some of the other things President Biden has done since taking office:
- Appointed Marty Walsh a lifelong union Laborer to become Labor Secretary. Not since the ’70s have we seen a Building Trades Union Official become the Labor Secretary.
- President Biden fired all the union-busting attorneys from the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board).
- President Biden has pushed all the Federal agencies back to the bargaining table after he fired all the members of the Bargaining Panel Trump used to override the Federal Workers’ contracts.
- He put an Executive order in place that was stronger and closed many loopholes companies used to get around the previous Buy American provisions.
- He appointed Peter Sung Ohr a pro-labor attorney as Lead Attorney to the Labor Board.
So far President Biden is shaping up to be the most Pro-Union President we have seen in a long time. Let’s hope he keeps pushing a pro-worker agenda that will only benefit workers and worker rights to collectively bargain.
January 2021 Connector is out!! Check it out here.
I didn’t get this in the Newsletter, but today I finally persuaded the Tri-State Welfare board to stop requiring the proof of qualified purchase with your HRA (Benefit Card) for purchases over $500 going forward. In short, you will not be receiving any 1099’s for the use of your HRA Card for a purchase over $500 at tax time going forward in including any from 2020. So pay your medical bills with your HRA card as you need to. If you need clarification do not hesitate to call me.
Iron Workers Local 498 will be taking applications for the apprentice program.
This will be your first test at following directions and ensuring you are prepared when you come to apply.
Attached below is the notice which will give you where to apply, when to apply, what you need to have when you apply, qualifications for the position, and information on the aptitude test performed by an independent organization.
The election is fast approaching, see the attached Local 498 Political Letter on the importance of voting and supporting Labor Friendly Candidates that insure our brothers and sisters of this great Local a solid foundation with great benefits. There is an attached Local 498 Endorsed Candidate List as well.
Vote for Labor and vote your pocketbook.
Check it out HERE.
Hopefully everyone is hanging in there during these unprecedented times. I did want to give you and update I just received from the International regarding COVID 19. They shared with me that only 6 members (3 retirees and 3 active members) have passed away from the virus.
Strong Everyone we will get through this.
I hope everyone is hanging in there and staying safe. The newsletter is out and available and there are some important things in there to check out regarding the pandemic and our contract that is set to expire May 31, 2020.
Also, if you are interested in the text service I have started sign up here.
It’s easy and you won’t be bombarded with texts.
I received a Power Point Presentation regarding filing for unemployment in the state of IL which includes information on the $600 additional supplement (over your normal benefit amount) along with waiving the waiting week.
The link below may answer some questions, it includes links and phone numbers.
While I don’t have the same thing for our Wisconsin Brothers and Sisters, I also attached a link to the Wisconsin website for filing.
I hope this helps you all get the needed benefits in this time when work is very limited with COVID-19 gripping our nation. We will get through this. Don’t hesitate to call me if you have questions.
The Governor Announced Shelter in Place excluding construction projects. Also, we cover Wisconsin territory which does not fall under the Illinois order. If the end user/owner decides to shut the job down that is their prerogative.
Things are pretty fluid in the country with the COVID-19 Pandemic and these are unprecedented times we are in and it is likely to be this way for a period of time. This will affect us all in ways we haven’t quite wrapped our heads around. At this time, we will be operating as normal. The one thing I ask is that if you can limit personal interaction at the hall and handle dues and death benefits over the phone or internet if possible. I am aware some still need to take care of business in person, which is no problem. We should all do our best to adhere to the county, state, and federal requirements as best as we can.
As it stands right now operations will be as follows:
- Dispatch is still open 6am to 8am
- Office is still operational 8am to 4pm (I am here later usually if need be)
- Try and utilize the internet for dues and over the phone when possible to maximize Social Distancing. If you do need to handle things personally, of course we will be here for you.
- Apprentice Classes are canceled until further notice.
- April’s General Meeting is still on for now. We will update as it gets closer.
- My phone is always on, so don’t hesitate to call with questions.
Should the State or Federal Government mandate other restrictions and we will evaluate what is required and make adjustment needed. I will try and keep you all up to date on what I hear that is confirmed to happen.
As always use best practices wash your hands regularly and practice Social Distancing when possible. Act as if you have it and don’t want to give it to anyone.
Everyone be safe out there, we will get through this.